Chief Executive Officer for Government Property Agency appointed
The Government Property Agency has appointed Steven Boyd, HMRC Estates Director, as its new Chief Executive Officer
The Government has appointed Steven Boyd as new Chief Executive Officer for the Government Property Agency, following a competitive recruitment process. The appointment has been made with the approval of the Prime Minister and Cabinet Secretary.
Steven will start his role on 10th June. He is currently Estates Director for HMRC, where he has overseen the transformation of HMRC’s estate, leading Phase One of the Government Hubs Programme. Before joining HMRC, Steven served in the Royal Engineers delivering property solutions in the UK and overseas, retiring as the Army’s Director of Infrastructure.
Steven will join the GPA a year after its creation. Mike Parsons, the current interim CEO, will continue in the role of Director General, Government Property at the Cabinet Office.
The GPA is an executive agency of the Cabinet Office, providing professional property asset management services across Central Government’s general purpose estate for all departments and their arms-length bodies. Its mission is to create great places to work for civil servants to deliver excellent public services. GPA aims to drive greater value by delivering best in class workplace solutions, a more commercial approach to property and improved facilities management standards.
Minister for Implementation, Oliver Dowden, said
"The Government Property Agency’s agenda is vital to delivering value for the taxpayer, providing great workplaces from which to deliver excellent public services and improving efficiency. I’m delighted to welcome Steven to the GPA. Having been instrumental in delivering the first phase of the Government Hubs programme for HMRC, Steven is strongly placed to continue the transformation of the Government estate to drive even greater value."
Liz Peace, GPA Chair, said
"I am delighted that after a hard fought competition we have been able to appoint such a strong candidate. Steven’s understanding of the Government estate and his impressive track record in delivering HMRC’s ambitious locations programme will stand GPA in good stead as we on-board more departments and drive forward our delivery agenda."
Steven Boyd said
"I am very much looking forward to joining the GPA team. Whilst it is still in its early days, the GPA is an organisation with lots of potential to make a real difference by transforming the Government’s estate, providing a first class service to government departments, and delivering great places to work for civil servants."
About the GPA
The Government Property Agency (GPA) delivers property and workplace solutions across government. It will introduce a portfolio-led approach to managing central government general purpose property as a strategic asset and drive benefits through more efficient and effective use of the estate.
It will do this through:
• Owning and operating the central government general purpose estate
• Partnering with client departments to realise best value outcomes for the taxpayer, great workplaces and ways of working for civil servants
The GPA is an enabler for the delivery of Civil Service transformation, and the Government’s priorities for regional growth and strengthening the Union.
The GPA will transform the way property is managed in Government by:
• Partnering with departments as property professionals and trusted advisors to bring innovation and solutions that position real estate as an enabler of business delivery
• Taking a strategic portfolio approach to the non-specialist assets that are transferred to the agency from departments, through maximising utilisation and reducing costs, developing and delivering place-based strategies
• Deploying commercial property expertise in supplier negotiations to enhance value for Government and the taxpayer
• Delivering an effective fully integrated corporate real estate service, including estates and facilities management.
• Developing and sharing specialist asset management and commercial advisory services with departments
• Improving the quality and transparency of data on the asset portfolio managed by GPA to better inform asset management and commercial decision-making