The Planning Inspectorate publishes Annual Report and Accounts 2022/23
The Planning Inspectorate has published its Annual Report and Accounts for 2022/23
Today we are proud to publish the Planning Inspectorate Annual Report and Accounts (ARA) for 2022/23.
In line with our values of openness, fairness and transparency, the ARA gives a detailed picture of our performance and finance information with analysis to show what we’ve been doing over the last year.
It also gives us the opportunity to look to the months and years ahead and talk about our priorities, plans and ambitions to improve ourselves and the planning system for all.
Chief Executive Paul Morrison, has recorded a message to support today’s launch
Over the last year we have:
- maintained high standards of decision-making, ensuring fairness and impartiality;
- expedited inquiries and hearings, delivering outcomes in a timelier manner;
- successfully handled complex Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects and Local Plans, contributing to the country’s economic recovery;
- recruited 95 new inspectors to strengthen the workforce and prepare us for challenges ahead;
- improved digital systems, enhancing the planning process for stakeholders.
But we know there is a lot more to do and key to sustained improvement is reducing the number of cases we have outstanding.
We remain focused on clearing the backlog of cases but in doing so we won’t compromise on the quality of our work and will meet our customers’ expectations by making consistent decisions in predictable timeframes.
This ambition will be achieved whilst responding to a period of significant change. We will use our expertise to provide support to the Government in delivering planning reform and infrastructure investment. And embracing the advantages of technology, we will continue to improve our digital systems to enhance the planning process for all stakeholders.
As an integral part of the planning system, we will work closely with stakeholders to drive improvement and make planning work for all. To help deliver all this we need to retain and attract the best talent. We are committed to modernising our culture and ways of working and becoming a more diverse and highly regarded employer, one that truly reflects the communities we serve.