Public Sector Event
Governing without ministers – report launch
Venue: Institute for Government
Date: 26 Sep 2019
Synopsis: The Institute for Government is launching a new report Governing without Ministers, looking at how Northern Ireland has functioned without ministers for nearly 1,000 days.
The report provides an analysis of the history of power-sharing in Northern Ireland, how Northern Ireland has operated since the collapse of the Executive in 2017, the consequences of these arrangements, and how a future Executive could be supported once restored.
The panel will discuss the past, present and future governance challenges facing Northern Ireland. It includes:
- • Sir Jonathan Phillips KCB, Warden at Keble College, Oxford and former Permanent Secretary of the Northern Ireland Office (2005–10)
- • Peter May, Permanent Secretary of the Department of Justice, Northern Ireland Civil Service
- • Owen Sims, Senior Policy Officer at CBI Northern Ireland
- • Jill Rutter, Programme Director at the Institute for Government
- • Jess Sargeant, Researcher at the Institute for Government
The event will be chaired by Bronwen Maddox, Director, Institute for Government